Inside the Guma Higai with two talaya ready for fishing.
Same info as above; Gordon Jr.
Background: Guma Higai located along beach road. This is part of the Ancient Chamorro Village called Catanhuda until its forced abandonment in the mid 1700's.
Talaya fishing in the Songsong of Catanhuda now known as Civic Center Beach, Susupe.
Guma Higai at Cantanhuda; Gordon Jr.
A view from within the guma higai.
Gordon Jr. standing infront of the guma higai; cantanhuda.
Click on the picture to enlarge in order to read the text.
Lusong in the Songsong of Alaian (Araiao) now known as part of Afetnas and San Antonio.
Acho Latte of Alaian (Araiao) Ancient Chamorro name of the village from which this latte stands. Maga'Lahi Ladahao (Chamorro Chief) from Sa'ipan was a a great chief from the said village. He refused to bow to the oppressive Spaniards; who forced the Catholic religion onto the Chamorro people. He refused to accept Spain as the new ruler of the Chamorro archipelago. MagaLahi Ladahao led the Chamorro people in many battles against the Spaniards. They respected him for his wisdom and valor. At one point, he drove the Spaniards fleeing back to Guahan (This is the original name, not GUAM). Don Jose De Quirogo a brutal Commander responded by sending more reinforcements. In 1684, a fully armed fleet of ships landed at Tanapag and a fierce battle ensued. The Chamorros showered the fleet with lances and sling stones. The Spaniards, however, responded viciously with their guns and cannons. Hundreds of Chamorros died bravely. MagaLahi Ladahao, although wounded, managed to escape to the Gani islands (In Ancient Chamorro time, the Northern Islands north of Sa'ipan was known basically as the Gani Islands) to recover. He was later captured and brought to Guahan, where Quiroga swiftly ordered that MagaLahi Ladahao be put to death (Obtained through the research of Eddie L.G. Benavente).
Gordon Jr. standing beside the Acho Latte of Araiao.